Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Storms a comin!

On Tuesday I set out for a half day adventure in the Everglades with 7 folks that I picked up at Summerlin Square. We began the day in cooler but beautiful weather, knowing that we would begin to see some rain come in later in the day. No worries, we were scheduled to do our airboat ride at 10:30am so by the time we got our fun in and back home the weather would not be a threat.

Kim from the airboat ride gave me a call and told me that we may get out a little later then normal because of technical difficulties and a bit of overscheduling. No worries, I had a great group, and we were having a good day. We had our alligator show and "Hollywood" the gator was fun as always. OK, well, lethargic maybe, but he was in his world. All of my customers were brave enough to handle this brute and all came away with their fingers. Yes it did help to have the muzzle on him, but what most people don't know is that even a small gator can really mess you up if he nips you with those nasty bacteria -laden teeth. That bacteria is designed to break down bone matter once injected in his prey so that the bones can digest better. So even those small little predators can cause a nasty nasty sting!

That's a good thing 'cause if one of my customers get bit, I have to fill out a LOT of paper work! I hate paper work! SO it may be possible that not only would they get bit but they MAY get pushed off the airboat later in the journey! Right? Am I right? "Yes Officer, one minute he was sitting on the boat, the next minute, POOF he disappeared! Spontaneous disappearance, I would say! I read about it once! POOF he's gone! I swear!".

OK, enough of that! I took a walk around the perimeter road looking for snakes and while I was out there I spooked this 10-footer (alligator) lounging out in the sun. I hate disturbing these creatures but he smelled me coming a long time before I got too close and he slid down into the lake.

As always Captain Robbie gave my people a wonderful ride, surely to be remember for a long time. It is great to be out in nature, with someone who knows what they are talking about, who cares about the environment that they are in, and likes to share it with others. Thanks Robbie!
Headed back tomorrow for a full day safari. Looking forward to seeing more gators. I guess I'm just a gator kind of guy. Guess that's why they call me Gator D!
Hope I get to see some of you in the future on a wonderful South Florida Adventure! No Worries! I think we are gonna make it after all! What you think folks?



No comments:

Post a Comment