Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dolphin and Eagle Mania!

Today was my day for boat tours and it was a 3-tour day. Sonja delivered me to the marina around 8:15am. Our Jeep is still not totally drivable so we are down to the pickup truck. I wanted to get there early enough to refuel the boat and have plenty of time to get things ready to go. The tide was low, the wind was whipping, and the temps were not even close to normal!

We started with a "shelling" tour with a family of four. I was the Captain and Cristina was the guide. We did not pick up dolphins until we were in the no-wake zone headed south prior to hitting big Carlos Pass. However, once we did get into them we had a wonderful show. The tide was so low I was a little nervous about getting through the gap running out to New Pass so we killed some time following the pod so more water would come in.

One nice thing about having an iPhone is all the cool applications you can download. I have several tools I can use on the water or in the wild (Steve Irwin would not have a clue how to use an iPhone). My favorite is my Tide Apps. I can watch the tides and know exactly where we are in high or low tides. So while we waited we also caught a fight between a couple of young Eagles as they chased a Fish Hawk (Osprey) after he caught a fish. The Eagles wanted his catch and we watched for a few minutes as the birds dove and dodged and regrouped. It was much like watching a dog fight in World War II! Magnificent! Finally the time came to head over to the shelling island.

I gently slipped up onto the beach and allowed our guests and guide to debark the boat. Then I anchored us off and sat and enjoyed some Kenny Chesney while they all combed the beach for some shell treasures.

After their palate was satisfied and our time started to draw down, we re-boarded and headed back to the marina. It was hard to believe but it sure seemed colder on the way back! But all in all, the journey turned out excellent.

After bidding farewell to our guests back at the dock, I readied the boat for a Dolphin Cruise. The boat was packed (21), the dolphins were wonderful and it was COLD! Adventures are adventures!

As the day began to transition into afternoon and afternoon to night the temps began to drop and the wind began to grow stronger. Our Sunset Cruise only ended up with 3 people. Alas! I know these people! They were with me on my kayak tour YESTERDAY!

As cold as it was we still had a great boat ride. The sunset was a little lame and dolphins were scarce, but a good time was had by all. Now I'm laying in bed, trying to thaw my feet and hands!
So that's it for this day. I look forward to tomorrow and yet another South Florida Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment