Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Dolphins, Dolphins and more Dolphins!

Today was another BOAT day! This is NOT a complaint, as I love being a Captain and I love being on the water. It sometimes is humbling to know that my life takes on such roles as Boat Captain, Kayak Guide, Everglades Guide, and all around EDUTAINER! Edu - for EDUCATION and Tainer - for Entertainer! That is what some in my profession call it. I'm a tour guide who gets paid to educate and entertain my customers. I'm not really convinced that I am that good at it. I have seen MUCH better. However, I DO have FUN with it and if nothing else I am satisfied!

I look forward to my days on the water and in the Everglades and even though it has been unreasonably cold, even to the point that I am SORE from shivering when I wake up in the morning, I am thankful for my job and thankful that I do not have a 9 to 5, office type, stuck to the desk, kind of job. YUK! No offense to you city folks who believe NATURE is the park where the doves doo-doo on you when you walk out in it, loosen your tie and pull up your pant legs to grab a bight of sun!

Hey, been there, done that, too! Washington DC, the MALL, donning my jogging attire at lunch time and taking a few quick miles around the museums and reflecting pool just to say I was in nature! Yeah, it worked then for me, but oh, how I am so glad I don't have to do that anymore!

Today we got to see a whole lot of dolphin on a not so bad afternoon even though we were cold, it was quite good for me and my guests!

Then, tonight, the young lady from Canada almost jinxed us by asking if I "guaranteed" that she would see dolphin! Now, I don't like that question at all! To be honest, I have only come close to NOT seeing dolphin on a few occasions and only once did I go out and not see ANY dolphin, but, as luck would have it, EVERY TIME someone begins my tour with that question I almost never have an easy time finding the dolphins! So, of course I CRINGED at the thought that this young lady, AFTER paying for her way, MAY NOT SEE A DOLPHIN! Geez, I HATE PRESSURE!

So we venture out, begin the process of searching for our whale friend (yes, the Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphin IS a WHALE!). However, do you think it was easy? NO IT WAS NOT! We had to wait till after sunset to find our first dolphin encounter and it worked out. With no real support from the bench, it worked out! And boy was I happy! Did NOT want my last fare of the evening to be disappointed! Go figure!

With all the activity of the evening, our customers, through glasses of wine and champagne, still had a good time despite the temperatures, the wind and the tides.

So once again I bid you farewell as I trim down my night and retire to my sleeping quarters for yet another night of rest before I venture into yet another day here in my South Florida Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment