Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Monday, Monday!

Monday was my day off. There were a thousand things I needed to do at home, but my restless soul needed to be outdoors. So, after dropping Sonja off at work, I ventured out to the beach. Sometimes I love the fact that on days that I have no assignment and when Sonja works, I can just meander. So, I meandered. I started from Santini Marina Plaza (where the shop my wife works at, which is called "Island Girl", is) and walked 10 plus miles round trip up to the north tip of Ft. Myers Beach to Bowditch Park.

This is not a new thing for me on a restless, bored day. I will take that journey about 3 or 4 times a month. I hate sitting inside or doing inside things. I hate living in a box. I hate TV. I dislike, no, I HATE schedules or plans. I like meandering. So I meandered. Did I say that already? So, I took off with camera in hand, wearing shorts, running shoes (with socks, YUK!), a long sleeve tee shirt, and a sweatshirt. It did not take me long to shed the sweatshirt. However, it was cool and breezy out on the beach, even though it was sunny.

As I walked the beach, I scanned the surf, wrack line, and the coastline trees and plants for anything of interest.

One of the best gifts we received at Christmas (since I have not yet got mine from Sonja, which is a new bicycle, model and make yet to be decided) was a book from my good friends Mike and Cristina Denegre, called "Florida's Living Beaches, A guide for the Curious Beachcomber". This book is full of all kinds of helpful information about the things one can find on the beach, and it certainly can clear up a lot of mysteries. I have used this book numerous times already to help identify curious objects found on the beach. It is incredible what you can find if you look with the intent to actually find things. I watch other people pass by very nice things that never are discovered, because they are not looking. So, I meandered. I looked, I took my time. It took me one hour to walk the first 1.5 miles. Should have taken me 30 minutes. That's what meandering can do for you. It slows you down but you find treasures.

So as I traveled in my slow motion way, I saw birds of all kinds enjoying the beach, Tunicates in their bright colors lazing away the day as only they can (a Tunicate is a "filter feeder" creature that just sets in the water and takes in water for its nutrition and spits it out. No legs, no fins, no mode of transport, being tossed and turned by the winds and waves). I always think these things look like brains or lumps of tar laying on the beach. Oh well, God certainly was bored at some point to churn out these creatures. I saw sea urchins, crabs, a bird eating a "brittle star", and many many more wonders!

I found a very large Jelly Fish laying on the beach that was incredible to look at. I'm not sure my picture does it justice but it was a spooky creature.

Prior to finishing off the first half of my journey I stopped off at Times Square on Ft. Myers Beach and had a quick bite to eat at Burrito A Go-Go. So after a couple of Dos Equis and a "Bye Bye Birdie" (shredded chicken, rice, black beans, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream), I continued my trek. My friend the Osprey was still on the nest and I had a wonderful time chatting with the Gopher Tortoise. There were a couple of women from Germany who were sitting right beside the tortoise and they had no clue that this large creature was even there until I stopped to snap a few shots. That's how stealth these creatures can be. What a rush it is to see animals like this. Shes a beauty!

I have not even begun to do some of the things I would like to do in my life! One of my BIG goals, as a boat Captain, is to enhance my credentials by getting my Sailing Endorsement. I want to be able to teach sailing as well as do sailing charters. So, as I sat on the high ridge at Bowditch and watched the sailing vessels glide by, I dreamed of the day that I too would be at the helm guiding those quiet, sleek machines along their way. I can almost hear the sheets snapping in the wind now.

As I headed back south to complete my adventure I continued to see and experience the wonders of our island home and could not help but whisper thanks under my breath to whomever was responsible for allowing me this opportunity to be a part of yet another South Florida Adventure!

I hope you enjoy the myriad of photos included in this post. It is just another day in paradise and I have enjoyed it tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment