Monday, February 15, 2010

Snakes and Kayaks!



Today was almost the perfect day for me! I guided a group of 12 to the Everglades for an "express" airboat ride and then returned to Ft. Myers Beach for a kayak tour in the afternoon!

I love my job. Get to see the Glades and then cruise the bay in a yak with new friends. What more can one ask for!

As the day began, I was cold. I stopped by 7-11 for fuel, both kinds, including that which I needed in the van to get us to and from the everglades and that wonderful elixir of life--COFFEE to get me going! Yes it was my third cup, but boy do I love 7-11 coffee!

We had a great crew for our Everglades tour, fun and patient. I felt comfortable with them and after just a few minutes we were kidding around with each other. That's a good thing. I don't get along with "non-kidders". Life is too short! Right? Am I RIGHT? Take life too seriously and the next thing you know, it passes you by! Not me brother, I'm gonna soak it for what it is worth!

After two "pick-ups" on Ft. Myers Beach, we headed for the Home Depot in Bonita Springs to pick up the final group. We spent a few hours getting to know each other and experiencing the Everglades. I am a realist and know that at this time of year gators can be a little difficult for us since they do NOT like cold weather. It was great to see the little one (2.5 feet) on the pond in front of the parking lot at Corey Billies, but frankly this was the only "wild" gator of the day. I hope my customers realized that this is nature at its best. It is winter time here in Florida, and the gator, being a cold blooded creature, does not fare well when the temps fall. Well, neither do I! I hate SOCKS, I hate BOOTS, I need shorts, and flip flops! Am I right?

We did the airboat ride and had fun, according to my guests, and after delivering them back to the island I rushed to get my equipment ready for my 2:30pm kayak tour. I met five folks at Snook Bight Marina for a Eco tour and after readying everything, I gave them a brief instruction on how to handle the kayaks and then we got underway!

The weather cooperated for both my journeys today and frankly I BROKE A SWEAT as I headed out in the tall grasses to search for snakes earlier in the day while I was waiting for the airboats to return to the dock. I got some OK shots of a 7 foot black snake that was faking the rattle snake by slapping his tail in the grass to simulate a much more fearsome creature. And yes, it took me by surprise, I was no more then two feet away when I heard him. I never saw him. I'm use to being out here in the bush. I sometimes think I'm pretty stupid because I am cautious and I am always on the lookout for these creatures and yet, there he was, two feet away. Good thing he was NOT venomous. Oh well, got to go sometime! Guess I better always have my cell phone with me. If it was a diamond back or a green anaconda (especially the 20 foot variety that can be here in the everglades) I could be in trouble!

So, after a great day in the tall grass and on the yaks with new friends I'm tired and ready for bed. I love my life, my job, and love taking people out on new adventures! Thanks to all of those with me today to experience yet another South Florida Adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment