Monday, March 8, 2010

BBQ, Beer, Swamp Buggys, Rednecks and Beauty Queens!

There are pieces of Americana that we partake in all across this great nation of ours and the Swamp Buggy Races in Naples, Florida is one of those events that is truly a South Florida Adventure for Sonja and I as well as thousands of others in this area.

I simply love these kinds of events. To be honest, growing up in Alabama, going to "First Monday" in Scottsboro (a huge flea market), camping with my family, going to old car shows, motorcycle shows, eating downtown Huntsville at the little place my grandfather use to take me for greasy burgers, and heading out hunting or fishing with my family all rank right up there for events that make me who I am as a "redneck" I suppose. SO, I fit right in with this kind of event here in my great state of Florida!

If you keep up with my blog I wrote about the Swamp Cabbage Festival last weekend and this is just another installment of yet another event that makes it fun to live here. I hope you enjoy the pictures and the info that I share with you.

This event was born in the early 1940's when a bunch of hunters who utilized these contraptions known as "swamp buggies" to get into the wild to hunt their prizes, began to race them. The organized races began in 1949 and it has been a valuable piece of South Florida history since.



It's hot out! Our friend Don and I took care of that!

Surfers wave? NO, the spray from one of those wheels on a buggy!

Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINES!

Oops!

Oops 2!

OK, So, is this great or what? Can we say NO CARPET!

OK, so we have a 2-wheel drive category, a 4-wheel drive category. Where does this fit in? I guess in the middle! 3 WHEEL DRIVE!

Well maybe not, guess it don't do too good with just 3 wheels!

It's not all blood, guts, and mud! And by the way SONJA took this picture not me! (I was too busy watching the Jeeps I did not even notice these beautiful young girls dancing out there!)

Flying Lawnmowers? You see everything here in the wild!


This is my favorite category! JEEPS!

One thing for sure, as American as it can get, this events start with GOD and COUNTRY! GO USA NOW AND FOREVER!

There is a rich history here in these swamps! Leonard Chesser, has been a part of that history for many decades! Today was his finale! Good Luck Leonard and thanks for the memories! No worries, he is leaving a legacy and at least four of his family members to carry on the work with Lonnie (brother), Glen (son), Amy (daughter)and Eddie (nephew)!







Tradition says the Swamp Buggy Queen MUST get dunked by the winner! Oh boy so much for gown, hair, nails and makeup! Got to be a redneck girl to be a Swamp Buggy Queen! It ain't the first time shes been muddy!



Well folks, that's about all I have for now! I hope you have enjoyed looking at these photos. Maybe one day you can head down to South Florida and have an adventure of your own. The Swamp Buggy Races are held in October, January and March each year so come and join us. I promise you will have a blast!
Until later! Gator D signing off!

1 comment:

  1. just linked this article on my facebook account. it’s a very interesting article for all.


    Wheels Florida

    ReplyDelete