Monday, January 25, 2010

Kayak Adventure!

We woke up to a torrential downpour today, with high winds and even some thunder here and there. I did not have any assignments today with Goodtime Charters or Everglades Adventure so I decided to head out on a kayak adventure. I checked out the weather radar and it looked like it was going to pass through by early afternoon so I went ahead and did my morning chores and got them out of the way.

I packed the truck with all my gear and decided to head to the Estero River for a nice paddle up the protected old Florida tributary to Estero Bay. I love this river, especially if the weather is not so good because it is pretty well protected against the wind and even on days when we have 15 or 20 mph blows I can still have a nice quiet paddle. That is what I was in the mood for today.

I have two good options for places to put in. One at Estero River Outfitters which is just at the bridge over the river at U.S. 41, and the other is the Koreshan State Park boat ramp just down the street. I chose the park simply because I like the put-in there although it cost $4 to get into the park but it is worth it for the ease of getting the boats in and out of the water.

It only took me about 5 minutes to get the kayak in the water and get underway after I backed the truck down the ramp and unloaded the gear. My goal was to maybe get some good photos or a river gator or two but I was not successful. I did however see several turtles, a nice little blue heron, and a green night heron. One of the most fascinating things about Estero River to me is the "old" live oak trees with the spanish moss growing on them. We can also see the Bamboo growing thick and strong all over the park. When the wind blows, the bamboo rubs against each other and makes an erie sound. Every time I head up that river, for some reason I think about Mark Twain and those old Mississippi River trees, however, I know this is Florida and these trees have a rich history here.

My paddle only t00k me about 5 or 6 miles but I always take it slow so that I can really take in the sites and explore the banks to find turtles and birds who may be lurking in the shadows. It takes a keen eye to really find some of the jewels tucked away under the red mangrove roots or in the limestone rocks that make up the banks of the river. I absolutely love the ferns and the plants along the river. I cannot express how beautiful they are and photos cannot capture the beauty. You have to experience them for yourself!

Occasionally along this waterway I can see snakes, alligators, bobcats, hawks, eagles, and a plethera of other wildlife but today I was not so lucky. Thats ok, I did get to see a canoe tip over and the two girls in it panicked for a moment until they realized that the water was about a foot deep. I did not have the heart to tell them that there were alligators in these waters. It just did not seem right in light of things.

The only drawback to the Estero River is the fact that so many people can be on it at any given time because of Estero River Outfitters' rental program. Just like all "renters" they can be loud and obnoxcious and scare a lot of the animals away before you get a chance to enjoy them but today it was not that way. I only saw one canoe and two other groups of kayakers and for the most part they were quiet so I was able to take some decent photos.

The weather held and I even had sun for a good part of my journey. The river was relatively high and I was able to go quite far up it before turning around and heading back. A lovely day on a lovely river. Just in case anyone is interested in the type of kayak I use, it is a "sit-on-top", Ocean Kayak, Caper model, eleven feet long, and weighs in at about 38 lbs. We chose this model because of its lightness, and ability to steer in and out of tight places. Sonja and I are avid kayakers and we are always exploring. Plus, we have rod holders installed so that we can also fish from these wonderful kayaks.

On the way home as I returned to Ft. Myers Beach, I saw an American Bald Eagle flying over me on Bonita Beach Road just before I entered New Pass. I grabbed my camera and clicked off a few shots. They weren't good enough to post, but boy am I happy I get to see bald eagles!

As a kayak guide and kayak instructor, this is my favorite way of seeing wildlife. If you ever get a chance to come to Southern Florida, check in with Cristina at Good Time Charters and set up a kayak trip! This is one heck of a place to be on the water enjoying another South Florida Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment