Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day off!

Well today my post will be a little different. However, I will still attempt to inform and entertain!

As I write this I am sitting by the pool at the Holiday Inn on Ft. Myers Beach. It's a breezy day, both Sonja and I have a day off TOGETHER, which is a rarity these days, so here we are at one of our favorite places in the tropics. We are regulars here and season has not quite exploded to the point that we compete with regular paying customers, not that we are not regular paying customers. Off season we congregate here quite regularly, well maybe daily, to enjoy the tropical breezes, tiki bar friendships, and after duty libations and sustenance!

Our good friends, Mike and Cristina, owners of Good Time Charters and Everglades Adventure, showed up at the pool to join us on our day off. Mike and Cristina also happen to be my bosses so I am really having to watch my behavior, even though I am not working! Haha! Mike is so full of energy and always on the move (see photo below). I, being a much older man, have a tough time keeping up with him!

It's a tough life living on the beach of a tropical island. We live exactly one mile south of this hangout right on the Gulf Of Mexico so walking is not an issue! We play a game here called RINGMASTER, a somewhat challenging and frustrating game made up of a hook mounted on a post about 5 feet from the floor and a 2 inch ring suspended from the ceiling with braided fishing line. If the ring is hanging straight down from the ceiling it rests about 10 feet from the hook. The object of the game is to release the ring from a distance and try to get it on that hook! I'm pretty good at it. However, I have lost interest in it because Sonja keeps beating me. I am not a good loser!

Anyway, the goal is to see how many rings out of five throws you can hook on the hook. Sonja holds the record so far with 4 out of 5, giving her the distinction of being the only Dead Ringer in the tiki. I, on the other hand only have 3 out of 5 making me a Ring Buster. Sometimes I don't like Sonja. I love her, but I don't like her! I hope you understand.

Check out the video below to see how it is done.

So here I sit, with camera in hand and I'm still surrounded by wildlife! Osprey, black vultures, pelicans and a vast array of "animals" from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, New York, and Germany. Of course we also have a lot of purple and white as well as gold and black running around cheering on their teams as Minnesota and New Orleans go head to head in the division championship game later on today. Man, I love this beach! I was able to get a picture of this alligator hanging out by the pool! Oh no wait, that's a brown anole! The protrusion from under his chin is called a dewlap and he expands it when threatened or when trying to attract a mate. Pretty cool! This little critter is considered an invasive species here in South Florida, coming from Cuba and other Caribbean islands, but frankly I love to look at their behavior, plus the make great snack foods for many native species of birds and snakes and mammals here in Florida.

I love writing about my day and appreciate having this as an avenue to share it! So thanks to my loyal fans (both of you) and I'm gonna put on some Jack Johnson and vegetate for a little here in my South Florida Adventure!




No comments:

Post a Comment