Friday, January 29, 2010

Good Weather AGAIN!

Headed to the Everglades today with 9 folks for an airboat ride and BOY was there good weather FINALLY! I actually went out searching for snakes while my group was out on the airboat (didn't find any) and worked up a pretty good sweat trudging through the trails around Corey Billies. I did run across a 7 foot gator that I got a pretty good pic of and also a great shot of a couple of ibises and egrets.

The group went out with Captain Robbie and boy did they get a surprise when a peregrine falcon flew down and pounced on an egret. This is one of the only birds of prey that will actually kill just for sport. It is a gruesome site to some but just a piece of nature that occurs from time to time that we have to look at as instinct and natural. Nature does not know or understand cruelty. Only instinct.
I had a great time on the tour today and my guests were inquisitive and fun.

We were able to see a couple of small gators in the pond in front of the Chickee at Corey's and also a larger gator in the lake behind the Chickee.

I also saw still another victim of the cold spell on the back side of the lake when I ventured out on my snake hunt. There caught up in the mangroves was a 5 foot tarpon. I had to search around a little for the source of the stench but it was so overwhelming I quickly located the huge fish. Well, hopefully the dead will filter through and we will begin to see new life as the fish begin to spawn again. It will take a couple of years I think to see some return such as the snook.

As I made my way back to the dock from my snake hunt I was able to photograph a wood stork as it flew over the marsh and I was reminded how lucky I am to be here to witness the return of this magnificent bird from the brink of extinction. In fact, the alligator, the wood stork, and many of the birds I have photographed this very day were on the way out due to habitat loss and "over-hunting" during the times when the bird plumage trade was making poor people a lot of money. Yes I'm lucky to see this but I am so looking forward to the day I have confidence that my grandchildren and their children will be able to view these creatures in this vast wilderness known as the Everglades!

Thank you for sharing yet another South Florida Adventure with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment