Friday, January 22, 2010

Everglades and Gator D's Imagination!

When I was a child growing up in Alabama I was one of those kids who found solace in my own thoughts and imagination. I never really thought much about it until recently, but it seems that my oldest grandson Benjamin is the same way and it makes me smile when I think about that because I remember where my imagination would take me and how good I felt sometimes when I was there, lost in my world, with all my friends, foes and follies, all by myself, wandering around in places that only I could go to, there in my imaginary world.

My favorite place to explore that realm of the imagination was under a glass topped coffee table in the living room of my house which sat in front of the couch. Even if we had company in that room, I could climb under that table and imagine that I was under water, looking up through the glass at those humans sitting on the couch and I could be anything I wanted to be. A shark, or a whale or crab or fish, looking up seeing their mouths move in chatter but not knowing what they were saying, and frankly not caring. For me they were in another world, a foreign world. I was in my world, under the sea, experiencing things that only I could, in that room full of people. I was content, happy and full of life.

I forgot that coffee table for many years, replacing the solace I found there with other things. Growing up, getting married, having kids, getting a big time job with stress and pressure. Reality. No time for imagination. I never lost it, but somewhere along the way I boxed it up, labeled it, and put it away.

As I stood along the side of Turner River in the Everglades today, and viewed an alligator that I believe to have been the biggest I ever have seen there on that waterway, I realized that I don't really miss that box called my imagination. Why would I? The excitement, the thrill, the joy and happiness I felt in that imaginary world has been displaced by a reality that makes me much more complete. I'm living in a world that I only imagined! It's in my back yard and I have been given a marvelous opportunity to share it with others. I am thankful for that.

Today I traveled to the Everglades for an Adventure with Leslie from New york and Rozz and Russ from Pennsylvania. We began the journey with a long ride to the loop road but along the way I introduced them to Ft. Myers Beach and the Everglades.

After we arrived at the loop, immediately we began to spot and identify many species of birds and got our first glimpse of the alligators who make the water along the road their home.

We visited the smallest Post Office in the United States and moved on to see our friend Rick in Ochopee play with his green anaconda! Now... Rick is a GREAT guy! OK kids, don't try this at home! Sometimes I think these Everglades folks are just plain crazy! I did notice that the anaconda had great traction on that smooth surface, Rick!
We then moved on to see tons of gators on the river, followed by a great lunch and much needed bathroom stop in Everglades City. After the replenishment, we moved on to Ted Smallwood's for a great time reminiscing about the early days on Chokoloskee.

The air boat ride is the final fling of the day and is usually the highlight of the day (because my guests know that my incessant "tour guide soliloquy" will be over soon. Kim gave a good show in the alligator pit and the ride, as always, seemed to be a big hit. Thanks Captain Gary! Once again you gave a great presentation.

Okay, got to get off here! Headed back to the Everglades tomorrow! YAY! Back under the Glass!




1 comment:

  1. Dwight I am home in NY now and waiting for our next snow storm. Finally got to view your blog for 1/22 when I was with you. Thanks again the trip was the highlight of my Florida vacation. Leslie Kiss

    ReplyDelete