Friday, January 29, 2010

Ahhh the sun is out!

What a wonderful day in South Florida! The sun is bright and the wind is calm and almost balmy! Well, no, not balmy, really, but just saying "balmy" makes me feel warmer.

Knowing that my first assignment was a 3:00pm Dolphin Watch today, I packed up my kayak and fishing gear and headed to Hell Peckney Bay, a shallow water bight (bay within a bay) which is in Estero Bay. This popular fishing location is a magnet for all kinds of fishing boats. However, only small craft such as skiffs and kayaks or canoes can navigate a lot of the inner waters because they are so shallow. Even I have to get out and drag my kayak across the mud flats at times, which is FUN, FUN, FUN 'cause I can feel all kinds of little critters with my toes as they sink in the mud! No wonder the ibises and roseate spoonbills love that stuff! Its a smorgasbord!

I did not really do a lot of fishing, although the fish were biting, but to be honest I was enjoying my paddle way too much to interfere with it. I did make a few casts but each time I stopped and put the anchor pin in the sand a great blue heron or some other bird would fly by or a boater who had no clue how shallow the water was would begin cussing loudly because they ran their prop up on an oyster bar. Hey, its all good! I have been there and done that, but I just wanted to find some peaceful place where it was just me and nature. I caught a good view of a yellow crowned night heron peering at me through the mangrove leaves. A beautiful bird she was. Glad to be in her world.

The dolphins were great today, and we got some wonderful views of them frolicking away in the cool waters. The water temp has risen to as high as 64 degrees today and that is much much better than a week ago. I would say that temps are normal again, but not all things are normal. Still seeing some dead fish floating so the effects of the cold are still visible.

The black vultures are having a feast still. I suppose there is a good side to everything. They will be talking about the abundance of food in the winter of 2010 for a long time.

Today's highlight for me was the sunset. I think between Sonja and I there are 10,000 photographs of sunsets on disks and on our computer. However, I cannot get enough of this wonderful site. I continue to be in awe of the wonderful color, depth and magnitude of that orange and red globe as it sinks down over the horizon each evening. So I share this marvel with you today and hope that where ever you are that you too enjoy my South Florida Adventure!




























No comments:

Post a Comment