Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 16, 2010 "Everglades, River Of Grass, NOT"

Well, as the days pass, and the "dryness" continues here in the Everglades, our waters tend to go away. The tour went on and we had a great day but I noticed that the water was lower again today. We need rain. We are fortunate that we had a lot of rain in the winter and feel good about the extended water levels but now we should be getting more rain. Oh well, we will hope so.

Had a great time today, the weather was HOT, but I love it! I love feeling the sun on my face and feeling the sweat running down my face. I know, some of you think I'm nuts, but I never got acclimated to the cold up north so I can easily fit here in the hot humid south. I grew up here. It is in my blood. My father-in-law always said he did not feel good unless his lungs were filled with water, meaning this humidity in Ft. Myers. I agree with him.

So we left out, headed south, and made our first stop at McDonald's so that our crew could hit the head and get refreshments before we hit Alligator Alley. Of course, we pull into the parking lot and there was a bus! We went into the McDonald's and there were 1000 people! Well, ok, not 1000, maybe 50 but, whatever! We still made our stop a good one and quite efficiently I may add. Then we headed on!

No birds out today. I suppose they were sitting in the air conditioning somewhere. Although the water level was low I did not see the "schooling up" of fish as we would normally get at this time, which draws the birds into consolidated areas to feed. Not sure whats going on there!

We had a fun time at the "Skunk Ape" museum and got some nice touchy feely time with the green anaconda, the tarantula and birds.

We saw some gators on Turner River and got some good close ups. Boy do I love the Turner! My favorite place in the world I think, except the Holiday Inn on Ft. Myers Beach (for those of you who know me well, lol).

We got to Corey's, the weather held, and we got a great ride in on the airboat. As always, Capt. Gary was in rare form, his medicine was working and he returned all my customers to the dock. All was well, they were smiling, I did NOT have to do paperwork! And all of you who know me KNOW that I HATE paperwork!

Well, I put in a long day, fun day, wonderful day, but now, I need to get off of here and prepare for tomorrow! I hope all of you who joined me today for this safari had a good day! I know I did! Thank you for choosing Good Time Charters Everglades Adventures! I am happy you did! Enjoy the pictures!

This is a "foot print" of an 11 foot gator that I tracked going from the main lake behind the "chickee" at Corey's into the south end of the marsh. HUGE!





















I had an issue loading the videos I took. Not sure whats going on there but if I get it worked out I will add them later.

Have a great journey home and smile! All is well!

Gator D! Signing off!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dwight, thanks for a great day, it was a truly memorable day out. I dont think I have ever been anywhere so inhospitable in terms of wildlife, plants, insects etc. The day really opened up my appreciation of the everglades. I also have a lot of video and pictures from the day if you need any of it I would be happy to burn a disc and send. It was also a pleasure to meet our fellow travellers on the trip from the USA and Holland, again contact me via Dwights blog and I can send you some video and pictures.

    Dwight-I will buy you that beer at Pinchers next time in FMB!!

    Mike Dickinson
    Hartlepool
    United Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gator D for this wonderfull trip, i had a blast! The weather was nice and it was a lovely tourgroup. Hope to come back again someday...

    Mr. Dickinson if it isn't too much trouble i would like to receive that disc aswell. You can contact me at roy_wijnhoven@hotmail.com.

    Roy Wijnhoven
    Venlo
    The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete