Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 15, 2010 "KILLER MANATEE STRIKES DELAWARE FAMILY!"

Sweet day on the water today! Yes it was! The temperature here in south Florida is a little warmer than normal but what a day it made for our kayak journey today. I was with a wonderful family, Cindy, Steve, Amy and Emily from Delaware and boy howdy did we have a great experience! You don't believe me? Just ask Steve! Steve was attacked by a whole gang of KILLER MANATEE!

Yes you heard me right! In all the years I have kayaked in the back bay this was the FIRST and ONLY time I have witnessed the sight that played out before me.

We spotted a group of manatee, I estimated about 8 of them, so we paddled over to get a closer look. Soon they were all around us, playing quietly as they do. Then all of a sudden one EXPLODED from under Steve's boat and the wake it drew was at least a foot high and it slammed into Steve and headed straight for me. It hit me in the side of the yak and totally soaked me and my gear! The good thing is that I had placed my iPhone in a drypack (why I am not sure i normally do NOT).

Anyway, that gave us all a good spook and motivated us to move on down the line so to speak! It was a "heartbeat raising" experience for sure and it certainly made for a good kayak journey! It was FUN! My wife and I have experienced similar situations, where manatee come under the boat to "explore" and lift us out of the water but I have never seen that kind of explosive power from them. I know they are not the slow creatures that they are said to be, but boy that was wonderfully explosive!

Anyway, there were not a lot of birds out but we did spot Osprey, Egrets and a little green heron. Very nice day and nice people!

Hope you all enjoy the pics! Thanks for joining me!







Sw

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Locke:

    Please see the email of this date at kayaksafaris@hotmail.com. Thank you.


    David Troublefield
    Wichita Falls, TX

    ReplyDelete